Special Plates and Placards - FAQ

I bought a vehicle and have a temporary paper plate. Can I order a special plate now?

No, you must wait until you receive your metal plate in the mail; then you may order online, by mail or in an MVD or authorized third-party office.

I ordered a plate when I renewed my registration online, so where is my new plate?

You will first receive a registration and tab with your current plate number for use until you receive the new plate by mail in four to six weeks. The new plate will come with a new tab and registration.

I received my new plates in the mail. Why is there no tab or registration?

The new tab and registration were enclosed the window portion of the envelope that contained the plates.

What is the cost for a special plate?

Fees vary. See our Plates and Placards page.

How many plates will I receive

One plate will be issued for each specialty and personalized plate order.

Does any part of my special plate fee go to a charitable organization?

Yes. For many plates, $17 of the annual special plate fee is a tax-deductible charitable donation.

Can I apply for a special plate for a vehicle registered out of state?

No, Arizona special plates are for Arizona-registered vehicles only.

May I purchase a special plate for someone as a gift?

Yes, as long as the vehicle is registered in Arizona and the eligibility requirements are met.

Can I purchase a special plate for my motorcycle or golf cart?

Only for these plate types:

  • Regular
  • Military Support / Freedom
  • Purple Heart and Veteran

A Historic Vehicle plate may be ordered for a motorcycle.

Can I order a veteran plate online?

Yes. A veteran plate can now be ordered online at ServiceArizona.com.

Can I personalize my special plate?

Many can be personalized for an additional annual personalization fee of $25. See our Plates and Placards page.

Is there a limit to the number of characters on my personalized plate?

The maximum number of characters varies. See our Plates and Placards page.

What if my personalize plate is damaged or lost?

You may request a remake of your personalized plate by visiting any MVD or authorized third-party office or mailing in a Special Plate Application. Write on the application that you are requesting a remake for a lost or damaged plate. The fee is $5 (plus postage/handling, if mailed, see Plates and Placards).

Can I keep my personalized plate number but change the plate type?

Yes. If you wish to keep the same plate number, you must visit any MVD or authorized third-party office. New personalized and specialty plate fees will apply.  This service is not available online. 

Can I order my special plate with a disability symbol?

Many special plates offer the disability symbol option for both standard and personalized. See our Plate Selections page for more information. On a personalized plate, the available number of characters is reduced by one to accommodate for the disability symbol.

Is there an additional charge for the disability symbol on a special plate?

There is no extra fee charged for the disability symbol. You must pay the usual special plate fee and/or personalization fee charged for that plate type.

Can I order a plate with a disability symbol online?

No. You must submit a Disability-Hearing Impaired Plate/Placard application by mail or at any MVD or authorized third-party office. If you are adding the disability symbol to a special plate, then you must also complete a Special Plate Application.

Can I add a disability symbol to the personalized plate that I have now?

You may add the disability symbol to your existing plate at no extra charge. You may be charged any usual special plate and personalization fees due for that plate type. However, the disability symbol is considered one character. So, if you already have the maximum number of characters for the plate type, then the symbol can not be added.

Is there a fee for disability placard or plate?

There is no fee for a disability placard. There is also no extra charge to add a disability symbol to a special plate; you only pay the usual fee for that special plate.

I already have a disability placard. Can I get another one?

Yes, in some cases. You must request the additional placard in writing and state the reason why the additional placard is needed.