Driver License, Identification Card and Instruction Permit

Please see our fees page.

You may replace a lost or stolen driver license or identification card online. The fee for a replacement is $12.  If your license has been lost or stolen and you have reason to believe someone else is using it, the incident should be reported to your local police department as an identity theft.

If you have a current out-of-state driver license in your possession, you will normally not have to take a written or road test. However, in some cases it may be required.

You can change your address and contact information online at   When you change your address on our records, it will automatically change the address on your driver-license record and on each vehicle record in which you are designated to receive the registration.

Driver License Renewal

You may renew your driver license up to 6 months before the expiration date of your current license. Most can be renewed online at or visit an MVD or Authorized Third Party office.

You are required to update your photo every 12 years. At the end of 12 years, a notice will be sent to you requesting that you visit a driver license facility for a new photo and replacement driver license.

No. There is no formal notification process.

Teen Driving

Please see our Teen Drivers page for information.

  • First violation: If you attend Defensive Driving School, your record will remain clean.
  • Second violation (first conviction): You must attend Traffic Survival School.
  • Third violation (second conviction): You will receive a three-month suspension.
  • Fourth violation (third conviction): You will receive a six-month suspension.

Motor Vehicle Records

If eligible, you can obtain and print a copy of a motor vehicle record online. You may also obtain a copy by completing a Motor Vehicle Record Request form

Any convictions received and showing on your driving record within the past 39 months will be provided to an insurance company.

Clearance letters are no longer issued to individuals. Your state driver licensing jurisdiction must request clearance information directly from us.

Purchase a Motor Vehicle Record online or contact MVD for this information. Be prepared to provide your full name, date of birth and driver-license number.

Purchase a Motor Vehicle Record online or contact MVD for this information. Be prepared to provide your full name, date of birth and driver-license number.

A conviction stays on your record for five years from the date of conviction.

Driver License Suspension, Revocation and Reinstatement

It depends on the violation. Purchase a Motor Vehicle Record online or contact us for this information. Be prepared to provide your full name, date of birth and driver-license number.

Please see our revocation and suspension pages.

Please see our reinstatement page.

Please see our revocation page. If the license is revoked, you must submit a Revocation Investigation Packet

Depending on the violation, you may be eligible for a phone hearing, or you may send the necessary reinstatement requirements by mail. Contact MVD to review your record and determine what action is necessary.

A judgment is generally a court order issued when someone has had an accident and was not insured. The judgment suspension is placed on the driving record in accordance with the court order.

Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your vehicle registration, driver license or both. To reinstate these privileges, fees and future proof of financial responsibility must be filed with MVD. The future proof requirement is most commonly an SR22 from an insurance company licensed to conduct business in the state of Arizona.

You must maintain an SR22 for three years from the date of suspension, unless it is a judgment suspension. Because judgment suspension requirements can vary from case to case, contact MVD to review your record and determine the length of time you need to maintain the SR22 for a judgment suspension.

You will receive a written response via your AZMVDNow account in your documents and by mail within approximately 30 to 45 days from the date the packet was submitted.

You may legally drive in Arizona using a valid driver license from another country. An international driving license or permit is not required, but it is recommended because it can be printed in English and used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country. If an international driving license or permit is used alone, it must be issued by a country other than the United States. Vehicle rental companies may have additional requirements.


If you have received a request for a medical review and/or knowledge and road test from us, it means we have received information regarding your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.

The information we received likely came from law enforcement, medical professionals, insurance companies or concerned citizens.

If the requested information is not received within 45 days of the notice date, your driving privilege will be suspended and/or revoked until the information is received.

If you have received a Corrective Action Notice that states you must complete any one of the following tests: written, vision, or road test with us, you do not need an appointment. You may visit any MVD office during normal business hours.

If you have direct knowledge of a person’s medical status that would affect his or her ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, you may complete a Driver Condition / Behavior Report. Information received by the Medical Review Program is subject to disclosure in accordance with state and/or federal law. Once we receive the form, our only contact will be with the driver. We will not notify you of any outcome.

You must submit a copy of the vehicle registration and a letter from your physician, stating the medical reason for the request. The information must include your name and license number. Please note this exemption does not include the front windshield of the vehicle.

It is the driver’s responsibility. As soon as a driver’s medical condition allows, the driver must notify the Medical Review Program (in writing or by telephone) that he or she has, or may have, a medical condition not previously reported, which affects the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.

No, but if a physician reports a driver in good faith, the physician is immune from civil or criminal liability for making the report.

You must be seizure-free for 90 days, but you must report the seizure to the Medical Review Program as soon as the medical condition allows. At the end of the 90 days, you will be mailed a Medical Examination Report to complete and submit to determine eligibility.

Yes, for a noncommercial license only.

Driver Services - Ignition Interlock

Failure to have the device installed and to provide verification to MVD within 30 days from the date of conviction, may result in immediate suspension of your Arizona driving privilege and possible extension of the original interlock requirement.

Upon conviction of driving without an interlock, your requirement to maintain an interlock will be extended for one additional year after your original restriction would have ended.

ARS 28-1461 requires that your driving privilege remain suspended or revoked until we receive proof of a functioning interlock in each motor vehicle you operate (even though you may not be the registered owner). The law requires use of the interlock for at least one year from the date that your driving privilege is reinstated or from the date we receive the report of conviction, whichever occurs later. If you have no vehicle, or do not intend to operate a vehicle, your driving privilege will remain suspended or revoked until you are ready to install an interlock and reinstate your driving privilege.

Your installer will electronically notify us within 24 hours of the installation.

Contact your interlock installer, or show us your copy of the installation verification form provided to you by your installer.

Yes. The interlock installer will electronically send periodic reports of your interlock usage to us. If those reports indicate a failure to comply with interlock requirements, tampering, circumvention, or certain other violations, we may issue an order extending your interlock requirement upt to an additional 12 months.

Over 21: A person, except an underage licensee restricted pursuant to ARS 28‑3320 or ARS 28‑3322, may voluntarily cancel and surrender the special restricted driver license to us at any time during the restricted period. The person must provide us with a completed Driver License / ID Cancellation Request form.

Under 21: A restricted underage licensee who has obtained a special restricted driver license and wishes to cancel, must petition the court for permission to cancel the restricted license. If approved by the court, you may surrender your special restricted driver license to us. You will not be eligible to apply for a new license until your suspension or revocation period is over, even if the special restricted driver license is surrendered. If court approved, provide the court abstract along with your restricted license.

Arizona requirements still need to be maintained. Contact the manufacturer of your interlock to locate an authorized interlock installer in your new state that will continue to provide the required services. It is your responsibility to work with your interlock manufacturer and authorized installer to provide us with all required electronic reporting until completion of your interlock requirement.

No, contact the interlock manufacturers to locate an authorized interlock installer in your state that will provide all interlock services required by the state of Arizona. It is your responsibility to work with your interlock manufacturer and authorized installer to provide us with all required electronic reporting until completion of your interlock requirement.

The interlock will enter a lockout period for failed breath alcohol tests. Contact your installer with any questions regarding lockout.

The most common violation is a failure to complete a rolling retest. Other violations include driving a vehicle without an interlock installed, starting the vehicle without providing a test, attempting to operate the vehicle with alcohol on the operator's breath, or disconnecting the device. Refer to the interlock installer's instructions for specific details.

We take action based on information provided by your installer after your last compliance check. Contact your installer to verify the accuracy of the information provided. If your installer is unable to resolve the issue, request a hearing from the Executive Hearing Office.

If your vehicle has been sold, you must have the device removed by your authorized installer. You will have 72 hours to have the device re-installed into another vehicle. If the device is not re-installed, your driving privilege will be suspended until re-installation is verified.

If your vehicle is stolen, contact your installer to determine a course of action. You will still be responsible for complying with the interlock requirement.

If your vehicle is wrecked, contact your installer so that the device can be retrieved and re-installed in different vehicle. You will still be responsible for complying with the interlock requirement.

If your vehicle needs repairs, since the disconnection of a car battery could be interpreted by the device as tampering or circumvention, we strongly suggest that you notify your installer before performing vehicle maintenance, service or repairs that could involve disconnecting the battery. Your auto repair technician can contact your installer for specific instructions on how to avoid recording erroneous violations that may trigger an extension of your interlock requirement.

You should always contact your interlock manufacturer or service center for questions, concerns or clarification regarding removal of the device.

Contact us to verify that you are eligible to have the interlock removed.

State law requires the interlock remain installed for at least one year beginning on the date of reinstatement eligibility of your driving privilege or on the date we receive notice of your conviction, whichever occurs later (see ARS 28-3319). You may also contact MVD to determine the date you qualify to have the device removed.

During a training session provided by the installers, drivers are cautioned about common substances that contain alcohol, including mouthwashes and medications. If the blood alcohol concentration of the driver, as measured in the breath, is over the preset limit, the driver will not be allowed to start the vehicle.

State law requires installation and maintenance of an interlock when your driving privilege is limited or restricted after being convicted of a certain alcohol- and/or drug-related violation (see Arizona Revised Statutes 28-1381, 28-1382, 28-1383, 28-1402, 28-1461, 28-3319).

The average time requirement is 12 months. Some violations require longer times depending on the conviction that you were found guilty of.

Contact your provider to comply with their schedule. Your provider must send proof of Interlock calibration to MVD at least once every 90 days.

No, if you are the owner and drive the vehicle, you must install the interlock and follow all requirements.

No. The device has a battery back up to protect the data log's memory.

Mail a written complaint describing your issues and include your full name, date of birth and Arizona driver license number, as well as the name and location of the interlock installer to this address:

Ignition Interlock Unit
              Motor Vehicle Division
              P.O. Box 2100
              MD 530M
              Phoenix, AZ 85001


Note: If you have a complaint about fees charged, please contact your provider directly.

There are currently no companies in Arizona that will install an interlock device on a motorcycle. Contact an interlock installer for more information.

Contact your interlock manufacturer. Arizona Administrative Code R17‑5‑610 requires interlock manufacturers to electronically transmit accuracy and compliance check information to us, or ensure that their authorized installers electronically transmit the information to us.

Certified Ignition Interlock Device (CIID) is an in-car breath-analyzing device that is connected to the vehicle’s ignition and requires a breath sample before the engine will start. Additional breath samples may also be required at intervals while driving.

Restricted License

We will send a notice of eligibility to those qualified for the special restricted driver license. Contact us to verify whether or not you are eligible for the special restricted driver license. If you are eligible, we will tell you how to apply.

Only drivers with a Class D or Class G driver license may be eligible for a special restricted driver license under Arizona law.

Commercial License - HazMat and Background Checks

No. The three-year testing requirement is a federal regulation for employers transporting hazardous materials to test their drivers every three years.

The Arizona HazMat test is required only when applying for an original CDL, adding the H endorsement to an existing CDL, renewing a CDL or transferring an out-of-state CDL to Arizona while retaining the H endorsement.

The requirement is a result of the U.S. PATRIOT Act (Public Law 107-56, Section 1012), the Safe Explosives Act (Public Law 107-296, Section 1121-1123), ARS § 28-3103(A)(2) and 49 CFR 1572.

Currently, federal regulations require that all new commercial driver license (CDL) applicants or current CDL holders who are requesting an HME successfully complete a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) fingerprint-based Security Threat Assessment prior to issuance of the endorsement.

New HME applications can be processed at any MVD offices.

You may begin the Security Threat Assessment process only after MVD has determined that you have fully qualified for the endorsement by successfully completing all required CDL and HME written tests.

Upon successful completion of the written tests, MVD will provide you with a HazMat Background Check Authorization form to present to a TSA authorized fingerprint collection site identified below.

Apply to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) with all of the information requested on the Driver License Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application to be submitted in one of two ways:

TSA will not accept handwritten HME applications.

Prior to visiting a TSA-authorized fingerprint collection site, you must provide TSA with all of the information requested on the Driver License Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application to be submitted one of two ways:

  • Online through the TSA website

  • By phone (toll-free) through the TSA HazMat Call Center at 855.347.8371

TSA will not accept handwritten HME applications.

The Transportation Security Administration indicates that the Security Threat Assessment may take from one to eight weeks to complete.

All applicants for a new HME are now subject to the federal Security Threat Assessment requirement, which includes current CDL holders without a valid HME applying to upgrade their CDL by adding the HME.

After completing all required road/skills tests, you may choose to receive a CDL without the HME for use until the TSA approval is received. However, once TSA approval is received, you will need to return to the MVD CDL office and apply for the HazMat-endorsed CDL. Because the endorsement fee was already paid, there will be no additional fee charged when exchanging a CDL issued in the interim, for the CDL reflecting the HME.

Upon successful completion of the Security Threat Assessment, the TSA will only approve issuance of your HME for up to five years. It is the responsibility of the driver to arrange for a new Security Threat Assessment no later than 30 days prior to the expiration of the current TSA approval to avoid cancellation of the CDL.

Current holders of a Class A or B CDL with an HME that do not meet the qualification requirements established by the TSA — but are otherwise qualified to hold a CDL — must visit an MVD office to relinquish the endorsement. There will be a $12 fee for the reissuance of a Class A or B CDL without the HME.

Because current Arizona law requires either a HME or a passenger endorsement on a Class C CDL, only the drivers that currently hold a valid passenger endorsement will qualify for the $12 CDL replacement when relinquishing the HME. All affected holders of a Class C CDL without a valid passenger endorsement must choose one of the following options and all appropriate application and testing fees will apply:

  • Apply for a passenger (P) endorsement to keep the Class C CDL.
  • Apply for a class A or B CDL upgrade and drop the HME.
  • Apply for a noncommercial Class D CDL.

Commercial License Permits

The TSA will notify you of the Security Threat Assessment results by mail whether approved or disapproved for the HME. If approved for the HME, the applicant may return to the MVD CDL office for issuance of the CDL reflecting the HME.

If you receive notification from the TSA indicating that you do not meet the established qualifications for carrying an HME, you must immediately surrender your endorsement to MVD. If otherwise qualified to hold a CDL, you may remove the HME and apply for a duplicate CDL for a $12 fee.

Additional information about the new federal HME application and Security Threat Assessment requirements may be found on the TSA website (search by keyword "hazmat"), or you may call the TSA Contact Center toll-free at 866.289.9673.

"Continuous travel" means to operate a vehicle continuously throughout any 24-hour period. These vehicles must abide by the curfew around the large metropolitan areas.

Continuous-travel vehicles and loads may move on Saturday, Sunday and holidays. Vehicles with the "sunrise to sunset" restriction travel can only move Monday through Friday; no weekend travel is allowed.

Arizona uses the federal bridge formula (see chart in Admin rules R17-6-411 Table 3, Illustration 3) to determine axle weights for overweight vehicles. You will need to know the spacing between each axle, the axle width, the number of tires per axle and the width of tires.

Single-trip permits are issued for 96 hours, or four days, or upon exit from the state (whichever comes first). A registration permit is $1 per axle per 50 miles traveled. Motor carrier fees are $48 per trip for over 50 miles, and $12 per trip of 50 miles or fewer. The fee for use fuel is $65 per trip for over 50 miles traveled, and $16 per trip for 50 miles or fewer. A Class A overdimensional permit is $15, and a Class A overweight permit is $75.

Commercial Permits has jurisdiction only for state and federal highways. For Phoenix or Tucson streets and county highways see Routing Contacts.

The Commercial Permits Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for state holidays. The ports of entry hours vary, so please contact them directly. See Port and Commercial Permit Locations.

To move a used mobile home originating in Arizona, a 504 tax clearance (ad valorem) must be obtained from the county assessor in which the mobile home is located. When a new home is moved from the factory or dealer lot, a bill of lading will be allowed to make this move. Mobile homes originating from out of state are not governed by this restriction. Only Arizona transporter plates are recognized for the movement of the mobile home. If the transporter does not have Arizona transporter plates for the home, a 30-day general-use registration must be purchased to make this move. The cost of this permit is $15.

For California trip permits, contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles at 916.657.7971; they can also be obtained at truck stops outside California. For California oversize or overweight permits, contact the California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS), South Region Permits at 909.383.4637. For more information on California requirements, visit their Office of Truck Services website. Arizona Commercial Permits does not issue California permits.

Call the Arizona Motor Transport Association at 602.252.7559, or visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.

Per Admin Rule, R-17-4-412, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day restrict the movement of oversize/overweight loads. If the above holiday falls on a Monday, the movement must stop before noon the Friday preceding the national holiday.

If your suspension, revocation or both are for not submitting a current DOT Medical Examination Report, you may submit it by fax to 602.239.6288 or by email. If your DOT Medical Examination Report is dated after the due date, you will be required to visit an MVD CDL office to reinstate your driving privilege.

If items on the form are missing or incomplete, additional information will be requested from you. Your medical examiner must initial and date all changes.

Note: Any request for restrictions to be added must be done at an MVD CDL office. A duplicate license fee will apply.

If you do not submit the requested information in a timely manner, your CDL privilege will be suspended, revoked or both. If your license becomes suspended, revoked or both, the requested information can be faxed to 602.239.6288 or emailed to [email protected]. You will be required to visit an MVD CDL office to reinstate your license and pay any applicable fees.

Commercial License - Medical Certification

The Arizona Central Commercial Permit Office is located at 14370 W. Van Buren St., Goodyear, AZ 85338. If you are unable to obtain your permit at the commercial permit office, there are several other ways to purchase your permit. You can purchase your permit online through our website, at one of our Ports of Entry, or through a national permit service.

If you receive suspension, revocation or both notices informing you that you do not meet medical and/or vision standards for a CDL, email the Medical Review Program at [email protected] or call 602.771.2460 for details.

The Medical Examination Report and/or Medical Certificate must be completed and signed by any of the following who are listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners

  • Medical doctor (MD)
  • Doctor of osteopathy (DO)
  • Doctor of chiropractic (DC)
  • Advanced nurse practitioner (ANP)
  • Physician assistant (PA)

The USDOT physical examination is required to help ensure that a person is medically qualified to operate a commercial motor vehicle safely. In the interest of public safety, commercial motor vehicle drivers are generally held to higher physical, mental and emotional standards than passenger car drivers.

Please visit Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) website.

Effective Jan. 1, 2000, the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act of 1999 created the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) as a separate administration within the U.S. Department of Transportation. The primary mission of FMCSA is to reduce crashes, injuries and fatalities involving large trucks and buses. FMCSA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and employs more than 1,000 individuals in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. For more information, go to About FMCSA on the FMCSA website.

A copy should be on file in the medical examiner's office. You may request a replacement copy from the medical examiner, or a copy may be available from your employer.

A medical certification is valid for two years, unless otherwise specified for a shorter period by the medical examiner.

You are required to notify us of a physical condition that develops or worsens, causing noncompliance with the CDL physical qualifications, as soon as your medical condition allows. Once the medical condition is resolved and before resuming operation of commercial vehicles, you are responsible for obtaining recertification from a medical examiner.

The FMCSA medical certification process is designed to ensure drivers are physically qualified to operate commercial vehicles safely. Each driver is required to complete the Health History section on the first page of the examination report and certify that the responses are complete and true.

The driver must also certify that he or she understands that inaccurate, false or misleading information may invalidate the examination and medical examiner certificate. Deliberate omission or falsification of information may invalidate the examination and any certificate issued based on it. A civil penalty may also be levied against the driver under 49 USC 521(b)(2)(b), either for making a false statement or for concealing a disqualifying condition.

You cannot take a controlled substance or prescription medication without a prescription from a licensed practitioner.

You are not qualified if you use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic or any other habit-forming drug.

There is an exception. The prescribing doctor can write that you are able to operate a commercial vehicle safely while taking the medication. In this case, the medical examiner may, but does not have to, certify the driver.

Note: Any medication used for the prevention of seizures is disqualifying.




This decision is made at the discretion of the medical examiner; if the driver returns to the same medical examiner within the time required, the CDL driver is not required to repeat the entire physical examination. However, if the medical examiner is to extend the certification, it must be extended from the original date of exam, and a new certification card must be completed.

No. Byetta is a noninsulin injection.

Commercial License - Military CDL Skills Test Waiver

Veterans who have been discharged under honorable conditions within the last year are eligible if their military position required the operation of a military motor vehicle that was representative of a commercial motor vehicle (CMV). See the Military Personnel page for more information.

For at least two years immediate preceding the application date for the waiver, you must have operated a military motor vehicle that is representative of the commercial motor vehicle (CMV) that you operate or expect to operate. See the Military Personnel page for more information.

Yes. All applications must be submitted in person along with all required documents and take all applicable knowledge tests.

Yes. The waiver is solely for the skills tests. All applicable knowledge tests must be completed prior to issuance of a CDL.

No. All applicants must complete appropriate knowledge tests to add endorsements to the license. Please note, a "Passenger" and "School Bus" endorsement will also require a skills test.

Yes. For at least two years immediately preceding the application date for the waiver, you must have operated a military motor vehicle that is representative of the commercial motor vehicle (CMV) that you operate or expect to operate.

Commercial License Information

Pay a reinstatement fee of $30 ($10 for the suspension and $20 for the revocation), $10 for a limited Class D operator license; the cost of an original CDL instruction permit (A and B are $25; C is $12.50), and $10 for each endorsement.

Take all applicable CDL knowledge (written) tests.

A limited Class D operator license is issued; if the CDL written tests are passed, the appropriate class CDL instruction permit is also issued.

A road/skills test is required for certain endorsements (see the next question for more information). If tested by MVD, the fee is $25 for Class A or B CDL skill tests and $12.50 for Class C. Payment of this fee entitles you to three attempts to pass the CDL skill tests.

Payment for reinstatement fees may be made by cash, cashier's check or money order. Some offices accept credit cards. Payment by cash, credit card or both are not accepted by mail. No personal checks are accepted.

A new hazardous materials endorsement (HME) background check will be required if you are not reinstated within a year of a suspension or revocation.

CDL Knowledge (written) Tests: Upon payment of all applicable fees, you have unlimited attempts to pass the knowledge tests. For a multipart test, if you fail a section but pass another, you receive credit for the passed sections and do not have to repeat them. 

CDL Skills Tests: After obtaining a CDL instruction permit, you may take the skills tests, consisting of a pre-trip inspection, skills test and road test. Upon payment of the skills test fees, you have unlimited attempts to pass the skills tests. The skills test has three parts. If you fail a section but pass another, you receive credit for the passed sections and do not have to repeat them. 

NOTE: If the permit has expired, all knowledge tests must be taken again to obtain a new permit before making another attempt at the skills tests. The CDL instruction permit is valid for twelve months. 

The fee for a road/skills test is

  • $25 for Class A or B.
  • $12.50 for Class C.
  • $5 for a passenger/bus endorsement (when added to an existing CDL).

We do not provide vehicles. If you do not have access to a vehicle, you may wish to contact a third-party driver license examiner authorized to give the road test using their vehicle.

Third-Party Examiner: Trucks

Third-Party Examiner: Buses

A road/skills test is required to apply for a CDL for the first time.

  • to apply to upgrade an existing CDL, such as going from a Class C to a Class B, or a Class B to a Class A.
  • to apply for an endorsement that requires a separate road/skills test, such as in the case of a motorcycle, passenger vehicle and/or school bus. to remove an L (air brake) restriction from an existing CDL.
  • when there is cause to believe an applicant is noncompliant with medical standards and requirements.
  • where the driving privilege has been suspended, canceled or revoked for one year or more. However, a road/skills test may be required at anytime you apply for a license or endorsement.

To determine if a CDL is required, the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicles must be determined.

  • A Class A CDL is required to operate a combination vehicle (truck and trailer) if the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 or more pounds when the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the trailer, which is added to the GVWR of the power unit (the truck), is 10,001 pounds or more.
  • A Class B CDL is required to operate any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more. A trailer may be towed if the GVWR of the trailer is 10,000 pounds or fewer.
  • A Class C CDL is required to operate any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or fewer if the vehicle is required to be placarded to transport hazardous materials or if the vehicle transports 16 or more passengers, including the driver. An applicant must also have a passenger (P) or hazardous materials endorsement (HME) to obtain a Class C CDL.