Commercial Vehicle Permits

General Permit Information

Single-Trip Permits

For lawful travel to a destination within or through the state, foreign-based interstate carriers entering Arizona are required to provide evidence of a valid Arizona registration or International Registration Plan (IRP) credential and fuel tax license.

Envelope Permits

Envelope permits are issued for a nonspecific and non-reducible vehicle or cargo load that does not exceed 250,000 pounds in gross weight, 14 feet in width, 16 feet in height or 120 feet in overall length and that has at least four axles, unless otherwise approved by ADOT Enforcement and Compliance.

Registration or Use Fuel Permits

Registration and/or Use Fuel Permits are available to non-resident motor carriers who need to travel in the State of Arizona lawfully. These permits are necessary for motor carriers who do not participate and carry IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) and/or apportioned registration (IRP) credentials.  

Oversize/Overweight Permits

Oversize/overweight permits are issued for vehicle and load combinations that are within specific size and weight limits. The load must be non-reducible. Permits are issued for a Single Trip or 30 days. Oversize/overweight permits are issued only for travel on state routes, interstate routes and U.S. highways.

Class C Permits

Class C permits are required for oversized/overweight loads that are either in excess of 250,000 pounds, measure more than 120 feet in length, 16 feet in height or 14 feet in width.  "Easy" C Mobile Home Permits are also available.

Interstate Registration
Arizona law provides for a type of commercial vehicle registration that allows foreign-registered, interstate-operated vehicles to travel in this state lawfully.

The Arizona Ombudsman – Citizens Aide helps you resolve ongoing issues with State Agencies.

Civil Rights

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other nondiscrimination laws and authorities, ADOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Persons that require a reasonable accommodation based on language or disability should contact ADOT’s Civil Rights Office at Requests should be made as early as possible to ensure the State has an opportunity to address the accommodation.

De acuerdo con el Título VI de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964, la Ley de Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA por sus siglas en inglés) y otras normas y leyes antidiscriminatorias, el Departamento de Transporte de Arizona (ADOT) no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, edad o discapacidad. Las personas que requieran asistencia (dentro de lo razonable) ya sea por el idioma o discapacidad deben ponerse en contacto con la Oficina de Derechos Civiles de ADOT en Las solicitudes deben hacerse lo más antes posible para asegurar que el Estado tenga la oportunidad de hacer los arreglos necesarios.